Joshua Roberts/Reuters
Attorney General William Barr said on Monday it’s unlikely that the Justice Department will review a probe into the origins of the Russia investigation that could lead to a criminal prosecution into former President Barack Barack Obama or Vice President Joe Biden.

"As to President Obama and Vice President Biden, whatever their level of involvement based on the level of information I have today, I don't expect Mr. Durham's work will lead to a criminal investigation of either man," Barr said Monday at a press conference, mentioning U.S. Attorney John Durham, who lead the inquiry into the origins of Robert Mueller’s probe into the Russia investigation.

“Our concern over potential criminality is focused on others.”

The comments come after President Trump criticized Obama official’s involvement among a group of people in the Obama administration that called for intelligence information to "unmask" the name of former national security advisor Michael Flynn in 2016 and 2017.

Trump has called Obama’s involvement the “biggest political crime” in U.S. history and has called for him to testify before congress. President Trump calls the situation “Obamagate.”


Trump responded to the comments at a round table Monday, saying he was “surprised” by the remarks.

“I think Obama and Biden knew about it. They were participants, but, so I’m a little surprised by that statement,” Trump told ABC News.

“I have no doubt that they were involved in this hoax. One of the worst things ever to befall this country, in terms of political scandal. I have absolutely no doubt that Obama and Biden were involved and, as to to whether or not it was criminal, I would think it would be very serious. Very, very serious. It was a takedown of a president, regardless of me — It happened to be me. And in my opinion, it was an illegal takedown.”

“I’ve decided to stay out of it,” the president said. “I will say this: we have an honorable attorney general. He’s going to do an honorable job. He’s a very honorable man and he’s going to do a very honorable job.”
                   
This article was last modified on May 19, 2020 at 10:00 AM ET
Previous Post Next Post